Sore throats are very common and usually resolve themselves within a week, most are caused by viruses however they can be bacterial in which case they may need to be treated with antibiotics.
The main causes of sore throat include:
· Viruses like cold or flu
· The bacteria group A strep
· Smoking or exposure to second hand smoke
Symptoms of sore throat include:
· Pain when swallowing
· Swollen lymph nodes
· Runny nose
· Dry scratchy throat
· Redness in the back of throat
How to treat sore throat at home:
· Gargle warm salty water
· Honey to relieve cough.
· Use a humidifier or cool mist vaporiser.
Over the counter medication:
· Paracetamol/ ibuprofen
· Medicated lozenges containing local anaesthetic, antiseptic or anti-inflammatory medicine.
· Anaesthetic spray
Upon booking an appointment you are required to fill out the form which will be included in the confirmation email (in the form of a link).
This appointment does not guarantee you will be prescribed medication, this is dependent on the pharmacists opinion as to the whether it is suitable.